Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Lost and Found


As Albert Einstein said, we have to decide whether we live in a friendly or hostile universe. I choose the friendly universe. When I decided to travel, I trust that the universe is kind and that it will provide. A few years back, I couldn’t go anywhere on my own because I just couldn't trust anyone. I guess I was just one of those people trapped in fear. Then suddenly I woke up from this long dream. I feel different. I still don’t know what exactly happened, but it felt like yesterday I was still in this small box.  Then all of a sudden a small portal just opened in front of me. Oh this could be the bright side. I knew that there must be something better on the other side. The unknown is quite scary, but it always makes me curious. And so I went in.

I remember when I was hitchhiking in Sumatra, I got dropped somewhere in Pekanbaru city coming from Dumai. It was quite late in the afternoon and I was confused as to what to do. I didn't know if I am going to stay in the city or just head on straight to this small town called Bukitinggi. So I tried hitchhiking again, but it was kind of difficult to wait for a ride in this big city.  Just when I was about to leave, a car stopped in front of me. A young local guy asked me where I was going, and I was lucky that he was heading to the same direction. This was how I met Billie.

I was in his car for another 6 hours, but then I never felt bored or tired with him. I've seen the most beautiful scenery in west Sumatra along the way. We exchanged stories and found ourselves laughing about stuff. He was really a funny guy, and very determined to practice his English. He was so nice enough to drop me right in front of my host’s house late that night. We said goodbye to each other then he continued his journey to this island in Padang.

Next morning I realized that my wallet was missing, so I panicked. All my bank cards were there. I searched my host’s place and I couldn't find it. Until I realized that I might have left it in Billie’s car. I called him and there was no answer. I really didn't have any money or anything with me. I was thinking that Billie might be spending some time in the island with his friend, and I’m worried that my wallet might not be in his car too. I was trying to think where I might have left it, then I thought of this small restaurant where we ate somewhere in the town the other night. But I was hoping that I didn't leave it there as there was a slim chance of getting it back.  I couldn't travel anywhere as I was just really frustrated about my negligence.

I called Billie again that afternoon and he answered. To my relief, he told me that I left my wallet in his car. And he was willing to drop it in my host’s place on his way back home. And he did it. I met him again the next day and he returned my wallet. I was really happy and grateful that there’s still someone like Billie in this world. I couldn't imagine all the hassles of getting new bank cards due to my carelessness. It was the nicest thing a person had ever done to me. I will always be thankful for that.

I always trust in the kindness of the universe. I know that it’s a bit challenging to be positive at all times considering that there are worse things happening around us, and it makes us lose faith in humanity. As I move around and travel more, I learned that things will always work out just fine in the end. I met people along the way, and It's proven that it’s still part of human nature to help one another. Everywhere I went, I experienced the true kindness of people. I remembered that a few months ago, I was so worried about the things that will happen today. But then everything turned out ok eventually however difficult things could be from the start. In this lifetime I think I had already overcome the worst situations and passed through various obstacles. By now I had gotten used to this. My immunity level is so high I couldn't feel anything anymore. I will always believe in what Anthony de Mello said, “Though everything is a mess, all is well”. So there is no sense in worrying about the future or what’s going to happen. It comes soon enough. And if things didn't turn out as expected, then we just have to learn from the experience and move on.

0 comments :