Monday, August 26, 2013

The Bali High - Psychedelic Mushroom


Someone told me about this magic mushroom in Bali that I should try, the so-called “Trip to the moon”. I tried marijuana before when I was young and they say this one is different. Magic mushroom is legal in Bali, and of course I am very much into experiencing a new state of highness. I saw in Kuta beach that the Balinese guys were mixing it with some shake or soda. So my friend I’m traveling with in Bali bought some shrooms, and then we went home. For the first time, I tried it raw, well I actually had it as rice topping. It was really tasteless and boring. And then I thought that there was really no effect. So I did my usual stuff, finished my dinner, took a bath and drank a little bit of Bintang beer. . .


After 1 hour . . .

I felt the sands everywhere on our bed. So I tried cleaning the sheets, convinced that the bed was really full of sands. I didn't know why simple tasks were kind of hard to do that time. I usually want to organize our stuff in our flat, but I just couldn't do anything. I couldn't sleep on a bed full of sands! I exclaimed. It shouldn't be like that because I was not in the beach. And to my disbelief, the sands wouldn't go away.  I just couldn't stop laughing. Then suddenly it hit me. I had to put some effort to stand up straight, and it felt like I’m going to fall down on my knees. Suddenly everything was just funny for no reason at all.

I’d forgotten about the sands-on-the-bed problem, so I went outside. To my amazement, the trees were so green. I felt my eyes became wide that everything was so sharp. And then I remember saying that things were all in 3D, especially that special tree in front of me. Although, I know that things are really in 3D, or 4D? I don’t know if this psychedelic experience made me smart or just made me more stupid.

Oh yeah, I went from laughing hysterically to crying non-stop until late, brought about by some not so good human experience. I saw myself switching from my normal-abnormal life to bipolar mode. The sudden shift of mood was overwhelming, and I had totally forgotten about the good trippy experience afterwards. And the Bali drama started.

I was a bit cautious about taking too much and that’s why probably I didn't get to the point of extreme psychedelic experience. I got the mild one I guess, accompanied with mood swings and heightened senses. When the colors became so sharp, then for me it was a good experience enough.


You can actually buy the mushrooms everywhere in Kuta, which would cost you around 50000 rupiah for one small pack. But if you look like a local, you could get it for less than that. We are cheapskates, so we found a way to have some for free.  We actually looked for it in some farms and picked it up ourselves, as you could easily find these shrooms growing on cow shit, no kidding! We were the secret mushroom gatherers. So yeah, as we traveled around Bali, we found ourselves looking for some cows and their shit everywhere.

The second time I tried magic mushrooms was when I was in Kuta beach one night. My friend and I were walking along the shore, then we got invited a couple of times by some Balinese guys and some travelers singing and drinking together. However that time, I tried to avoid people as I was under the influence of mushroom, and I was just paranoid that they would notice. I was being funny actually. And then at the same time, I was also afraid that I might do something stupid around these people. So we left the group and walked away.

It was full moon. We just lay down on the sand and watched the clouds moved across the night sky. Everything around me was so amazing. I've never felt so happy, everything was so real. We walked on the soft sand in the dark while the waves crashed against the shore relentlessly. The shore under the full moon was just astonishing to watch as the water swept back and forth, and we could feel the pull of the tide as we tried to escape. That moment was truly unforgettable. It was so beautiful and romantic . . . with or without my psychedelic mushroom . . . .

0 comments :