Thursday, August 29, 2013

To Have Loved and Lost - Goodbye Ukulele


I realized that I have this strong attachment to my ukulele. Attached to the music and joy it brings, that no one else could ever give. Though I’m not really that good yet, playing it just makes me feel better. Just being able to play songs that I like, hearing it, feeling it, being there in the moment. I become totally present. When I play music, I suddenly forget that there are annoying people in this world. I just become totally oblivious to the outside things. Finally, I thought, I found something that really makes me happy. No human intervention needed.  

When I was once in front of KFC near our flat, I asked some middle-aged men if I could play a song for them. I played “I’m yours”. I was not really expecting they’d give me money in return. I felt happy, I admit. I was just really kind of experimenting if I could really entertain someone with my ukulele. So here comes my future career. 

My friend was driving the scooter down the mountains as we went back home from Batur Volcano in Bali. When suddenly I realized that my ukulele was missing. We couldn't go back anymore. There was a slim chance of finding it as I was not even sure where I left it. It was dark and cold, a long drive back home. I couldn't grasp reality. I was really sad.

Few weeks later, I was in Kuala Lumpur, and it was not easy. From beach life to city, I had a relapse. The reality of the moment would not sink in. I left my heart in Bali. I had become attached to my life in the beach, and being in the city was a total shock for me. I had been here four years ago, and I never really like going back to the same place. But thanks to this cheap flight from Bali, it left me with no choice but to be back here. I was confused as to what to do, no plans or anything.

And worst, no ukulele. My only comfort and refuge, I felt alone.The moment of acceptance came, and I just hope that whoever’s that lucky person who might have gotten my little piece of joy would love it as much as I had loved it. Finally I’m letting it go.

Goodbye my ukulele.

0 comments :