Friday, September 28, 2012

Sweet Revelations - Unwrapping El Nido



The unresolved dilemma was still weighing me down, but this time I was full of hope.  The most pleasurable moment for me is waking up in a strange town. So there I was, in an unfamiliar bed in a strange town. I stood up and walked towards the unfamiliar door. I followed the light. There I was, standing outside, completely stunned. There’s a world outside my doorstep. I can’t describe the feeling at that moment. I’m amazed with the heavenly landscape, it was really magical.

This is El Nido, uncovering itself right before my eyes. And for a moment, I had forgotten about my grumblings and issues. I didn't realize that the guesthouse is just beside the beach as I haven’t noticed this when I came here last night. Totally unexpected, life is indeed full of sweet surprises.

I was in a trance until the guesthouse staff reminded me of the island-hopping tour I could take for the day. I should get back to reality. I have to get to the only bank in town and find out if I can withdraw some cash from the ATM. And for the moment of truth, the ATM does not accept any other banks. I had to think of another solution. I was really worried. And to my relief, the helpful locals told me that there is a gas station nearby that can cash out some money from credit cards, with some charge of course. That was good enough, I thought. I’m seeing some light now and I’m overjoyed. Things were working out smoothly this time, so I hurried back to the guesthouse to catch the island hopping tour. However it was too late, all the boats had already left. So I have no choice but to reschedule this activity the next day.


And so for the day I decided that I’d go kayaking with this cool dude from Rickson’s bar as my guide. This was my first time so I was really excited. My arms were really aching as I paddled, but I managed to do my part up to this island across Bacuit Bay. Mind you, it was not that near. 


My Kayak guide is a Jamaican-looking guy with lots of stories to tell. It is not every day that I get a chance to meet a local guy who is interesting. He’s an artist living a nomadic lifestyle, outside the limits of the society. I guess this is him living my dream.


I’m thankful that the weather was fine. We arrived in this island with a long stretch of fine sand, the water is clear and the views around are amazing. And for the first time, I was able to do a little bit of snorkeling around. Sadly I've noticed some garbage claimed to have just washed up on the shore, obviously no one cared.



I was really exhausted when we paddled back to the main beach. Kayaking was really a tiring activity but it was a fun experience. I hope next time I’d be able to Kayak on my own.


I want to try anything whenever there’s a chance because I always think that I might never come back again. I’m glad things worked out just fine here, and as they say, there’s always light at the end of the tunnel.  

Well this was just the first part of my El Nido experience, and I’m up for some more action.

0 comments :