Thursday, September 27, 2012

Lessons From El Nido


This is certainly not a good photo to begin with as I’m just here to recount my first night experience in El Nido. Just to make it clear, El Nido is definitely not to be blamed, when in fact it should be thanked. You know when people say that you have to travel on your own if you want to learn more about yourself, well in my experience, it’s true. Make friends with yourself first, then you will never be alone. I believe that people should plan a solitary trip for once in their life, to test one’s self under the condition of not having anyone to hold on to, or without all the certainties. In my case, this was the time of unlearning and learning.

If there was anything to be blamed, maybe it was the 9 hour agonizing bus ride. From the underground river, I went straight to the San Jose Terminal in Puerto Princesa to catch the bus going to El Nido. I planned to get off in the city to withdraw some cash first, but I learned that the next bus will be at 10:00 PM. I was assured that there is an ATM in El Nido. Unfortunately I didn't have that much time and I didn't want to spend another day in Puerto Princesa, so I took my chances. I boarded the bus, and it felt like I almost spent the whole day there.

And for the ice breaker, my oh-so-nice empty seat beside me was taken by this guy, who weirded me out at first. He was holding a camera and was taking pictures from my window view. And so I knew it, he wanted to talk me. He asked me where I’m from, and was surprised when I told him that I’m a local. He thought that I’m some traveler from India, Nepal or somewhere (Which by the way, I’m taking this as a compliment). Anyway, this fellow is from Hongkong. I thought he’s a local, maybe because of his dark complexion. It was not his first time in the Philippines, and like me, he was just in his long holiday from work. I haven’t met anyone from Hongkong, and I’m not really so sure if they were that interesting. I’m not really so fond of Hongkong. But this guy was interesting enough to talk to, and it just so happened that we share some similar opinion about traveling, a usual traveler’s chit chat.  Like some Asians I used to know, he was completely decorated with gadgets, and I’m pretty sure that he had a big budget to blow for this trip.

Finally we arrived in El Nido, and it was late at night. It was dark, so I didn't get the first “wow” moment or whatever. The place looks like there are no banks around. I got worried. I knew that the money I have left would not be enough to spend 3 days there. While I was worrying about the cash, the tricycles were as usual overcharging the newly arrived passengers. So I said goodbye to the Hongkong guy without asking his facebook or giving him mine. That was enough, I thought.  Given the problem, I could not afford to join him. So I started walking to nowhere. A tricycle stopped at me and I hopped in after learning from this bald foreigner guy who was inside that it would be a really long walk to the town. And of course I didn't believe, but then I was really tired, so I took the ride anyway.

That small town reminded me of Patong beach in Thailand, lots of small restaurants, booking agencies and guesthouses.  It looks really touristy. I went to "La Banane" guesthouse because they have this dormitory for P350 a night. I didn't want to spend time looking for other options, so I took it. It was not certainly the best place. The dorm is just a small room with walls that are just some sort of plywood fastened together. There was this Japanese girl who seemed to be having trouble sleeping due to the noisy kids doing their thing outside. I knew it was going to be a long night. Awake.

The same tricycle who dropped me to the dorm took me to some small eatery where I could eat. He seemed to be touring me around, oh well, I could walk. It’s not a big town. The food in the eatery didn't look inviting so I went to this Italian restaurant near my guesthouse. The food is not cheap. It was like I’m in a posh restaurant in Manila. I was really hungry so I ordered anyway. I knew I have to be saving money and all, but what the hell. It was fine until I was told that they don’t have tap water. This got me really annoyed. Some random negative thoughts filled me all of a sudden. I thought I’m not having the best night of my life, here in El Nido of all places. I thought I should be having fun . . . but as we know, travel is not all about fun and comfort.

I was really stressed, worried, tired, annoyed – name it. I couldn't sleep, the noises outside made me want to shout and curse at the kids outside the dorm. I’m glad I was still thinking, and didn't expose any irrational behavior. I should sleep and get a rest, I thought. I was still not sure if I could get the money in the morning, and this was making me even more worried. My mind was filled with should-haves and could-haves, and then suddenly loneliness and helplessness revisited me, and again of all places. Lucky are those who don’t have to deal with the aftermath of my stress. I cried myself to sleep.

Nevertheless, I have high hopes.  The universe is friendly, and I myself knew this very well. All would be well even though everything’s a mess. Lessons learned.

0 comments :