Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Life in Aglao


It was a peaceful afternoon, and I felt well-rested after waking up from a short nap. I camped by the lake where there’s a nice surrounding view in front of me. Jessica had toured me around before I slept. I had taken a dip in the nice calm waters of the lake. And that moment, I felt myself growing pure again, with the soothing power of the water plus the breathtaking view of the mountains around me. The sun is shining the weather is sweet . . . I heard myself singing Bob Marley’s Song.

After the Mt. Pinatubo eruption, Lake Mapanuepe was born. In front of Jessica’s place was once a farm, and at the far end was a plaza. But the surrounding areas were blocked and the water was contained inside. To contribute to the local livelihood, the town government spread some fish in this new found freshwater resource.


Just like anywhere else, this lake bears some urban legend. It is known that there’s a mysterious huge fish, the size of a Carabao (water buffalo) lurking underneath.

Despite its calm waters, accidents still happen. I was told of the group of soldiers who drowned to their death when their boat had sunk. I was a little confused as to why they were not able to swim back to safety. And so it is said that the lake has claimed lives every year, and fortunately this time no one has died yet. Maybe that is why Jessica kept on telling me not to swim too far. She didn't want me to be the next one.


It is believed that Luzon is the richest part of the Philippines, where treasures such as gold are hidden deep within its mountains. The local people could not benefit solely from it, as much as they want to, as they do not have the money or the materials to do the mining themselves. Fly-by-night companies and some rich-ass foreigners took over, paying the local people to do the hard work. This whole thing is quite evident on the eastern side, where the mountain was mined madly, with its surface looking like a peeled bark tree from a distance. It was once a gold mine, but now it was stopped as the water had risen from below, and the impossible depth could not be reached anymore.


Jessica and her nephew – Sonny, built a campfire. I sat there in front, listening attentively as they shared their life in Aglao. It is simple, it is almost perfect. She has some chickens and goats wandering freely in her backyard, and a little pet pig named piggy that attempted to bite my leg. She gave me some basic tips, should I decide to take her offer of settling down there and having my own livestock.


I was advised that it is best to invest on a Carabao, as it is a pretty tough farm animal that can do some all-around work. It can both pull a plow and the cart used to transport the produce and the people. During World War II, the Japanese were indifferent to the basics of the Philippine economy. Known for mass slaughter of animals (dolphins and whales), the Japanese soldiers massacred hundreds of Carabaos for meat. This prevented the farmers from producing more rice to feed the population, and thus, stopping the whole economy.


A Carabao can cost as much as P15000. Having no knowledge of animal husbandry or what not, I couldn't believe that a Carabao can be this expensive. Though it has been a normal thing to use this animal in farm work, I still couldn't quite imagine myself assigning the entire burden to the poor thing. So I guess I might pass on this one.

The goat on the other hand costs P1200, which you can either sell or eat. Cows and goats are probably my choice as they only eat grass. Who knows, I might have my own farm animals in the future. And I can only eat animals coming from the farm or from my own backyard.

I had learned so much about the life around here, and all our meaningful conversation has been imprinted in my mind. I had lost track of time. I couldn't help but notice the romantic setting. The night sky lit up with thousands of brilliant stars, with the glowing fire in the midst of the cold grassy earth, and there I was, sitting outside in the company of good people on a peaceful night. Life is good.


Despite my pleas, Jessica did not allow me to sleep outside, as she’s being an overprotective mother. This was quite understandable as I was told of the criminal cases that happened recently around Aglao, and one of it was this girl from the outside of the village, who was raped and murdered. And unfortunately, the suspect is still on the loose.

While Jessica prepared our dinner, I sat there in her backyard until the moon finally showed itself, hanging there full and hazy beneath a cap of dark clouds.

Jessica had given me this extra room where I could sleep. It felt cold as I lay in an unfamiliar bed, but it didn't bother me at all. I’m comfortable in its strangeness. I almost wished I sleep here every night.

0 comments :