Saturday, October 20, 2012

Bienvenidos al Pico de Loro


The path becomes steeper and the climb becomes more and more difficult. I kept on convincing myself that this is just an easy trek . . . by the mountaineers' standard. I'm no expert but I've been ambitiously dreaming of climbing other higher mountains. Climbing is a fulfilling activity, conquering fear and battling with the altitude's power - all for the love of nature. It's like there's a nice little treasure waiting for you up there, something you physically work hard for. I tried to push myself to the limits and get used to this tiring activity. Moreover, get used to the mud, the seemingly endless path, the possibility of creepy snakes lurking around, and the risk of getting lost.


A steeper hike in the midst of the forest overwhelmed me, and a familiar enemy visited me once again – say hello to “Stress”. It’s not like when I was in Palawan, where I could deal with my regular guest alone. This time I was a little bit worried of the impact of my severe mood swings to those people around me. Thank goodness though, the pleasant surroundings deviated my mind from the worse effects of travel stress. I guess I underestimated the climb, big time! And now I’m thinking if I really have the patience for this type of adventure. 


The rainy day brought me to a mystical experience, which I consider as a prize after 4 excruciating hours of my life. At last we reached the summit campsite. I’m enthralled with the grand surprise of nature, and the altitude holds such power over me. The clouds blew against my face, and from time to time the whiteness uncovered and covered the breathtaking view of the lush mountains and the vast sea. 


And for another 10-minute very steep ascent, one can see the towering Pico de Loro, looking like an old watchtower used for spotting enemies approaching from a distance. Before this trip, I boasted about my brave idea of not leaving the place without climbing Pico de Loro. However when the mist covering the tower slowly unfolded the view, the tower looks high and mighty right before my eyes. It is really intimidating, and I admit that I kind of chickened out to climb it. I could have probably made it to the top if I was with an experienced guide, I guess. It must have been also nice to be at the centerpiece, with the 360° mind-blowing nature display, Nevertheless, I’m satisfied enough with what I saw.


When I got closer to this huge tower seemingly composed of stack of boulders fastened together by a big hand, I saw some writings on the walls that spoiled the whole picture. The vandalism made it really look unpleasant when you are near, I blame it to some inconsiderate fuck who has nothing to do in life.


On the other hand, I’m amazed with the enchanting view from the base of the tower. We consider this as a special prize for the whole tiresome scramble. The sea in the midst of the mist created such a dramatic scene and a picture-perfect moment. It is really breathtaking. A might-never-again-be-visited site was savored ‘till our last step away from it. 

0 comments :