Saturday, August 11, 2012

There's Something About Bontoc


For most, Bontoc is just a lively mountain town, an alternative route to Sagada and Banaue. I didn’t really plan to stay here overnight, as just like the others, I’m here to catch another ride going to my intended destination.  The town’s laidback appeal caught my attention, so I decided to explore this place and find out what’s hidden underneath.


I guess people will say that there’s really nothing much going on here, it might be just another town minus the chaotic and energetic vibe. And to my surprise this is much more organized and well, cleaner. It takes an appreciative and open mind to find out that there’s really more than meets the eye. Before I set forth to see the rice terraces of Batad and Banaue, I heard that Bontoc has its own version and I got to see it. I crossed the valley through the narrow bridge and bumped into a nice old lady coming from the mountains. All the plantations and the stone-walled rice terraces make up the beautiful landscape.  

While waiting for the jeepney to get full (which really takes a while), you can explore the town or visit the museum and some local shops around. Hike around the terraces and meet the nice villagers who live nearby, or if you’re lucky you might even see the people from the tribes who come down from the hills once in a while to sell their stuff.



I feel safer walking here at night than in any other place. If you’re going to loiter around until midnight looking for bars or drinking places, beware because it’s lights out here pretty early. No deafening videoke singing in the wee hours of the morning, thank God for that. If you miss out the bus / jeepney schedules then I guess Bontoc is the place where you can stop and take a rest. You can grab your own room for as low as P200, and seriously, hotel accommodation does not get any cheaper than this. There’s one with a balcony overlooking the street, where you can eat your dinner, grab a beer, or just relax and save your energy for what’s more ahead.




If you will head to Sagada or Banaue the next day, one should not miss the jeepney roof ride. Sit on the roof if you want to catch the best views along the way. And this was one of the best experiences of my trip.


How to get there and back:

- There are several bus terminals for Baguio in Cubao along Edsa Highway. You can take the popular victory liner which has hourly trips. Ride the night bus and arrive in Baguio city after 7 hours.

- There are ordinary buses to Bontoc until noon from the Dangwa Terminal in Baguio.

- There are jeepneys until noon from or to Sagada / Banaue.

0 comments :