Sunday, July 31, 2011

See it to believe it - The Famous Boracay


Everyone’s going to Boracay. Locals boast this as one of the world’s famous beaches. It made me more curious when I heard my friends talk about their experiences or even plans of coming back there. I dare not to ask what to see there, I got to see it myself. All I know is that it’s just another touristy and party beach. I decided to give it a chance. I felt like that being from Philippines, I really got to see it. Well just for the sake of being able to say “I've been there” and I’m a Filipino now.


I don’t really have high expectations of Boracay, I know that it would be just like any other beautiful beaches I’ve seen. Not until I got there, the moment I removed my flip flops and stepped on the sand, that’s when the “aha” kicked in. It’s like the long stretch of powdery white sand and emerald waters yelling at me, “I told you!” Ok that moment I knew, it exceeded my expectations. That time I realized, that’s why it’s touristy, that’s why everyone’s coming here. I can’t explain its beauty in mere words you got to see it to believe it.

Boracay is a small island 2km off the northwest tip of Panay in the Visayas. The whole energy and action take place in white beach. I felt like a tourist in my own country, with all the Japanese and Korean families walking around, or having their famous jump shots along the shore. And of course, you won’t miss all the sexy girls lying around sunbathing that you could actually walk above them. Boracay pretty much reminds me of Patong beach in Phuket, Thailand minus the prostitutes, or are there any?


Both for the beach bums and party-goers, Boracay is like a mini city with everything you need. From adventure, water sports, night life, food to shopping. I’ve been to remote islands, camped and all, but in Boracay it’s time to relax. There’s so much food around. You can enjoy the popular buffet at the beach front at night. It’s so relaxing to eat while looking at the shore with the wind blowing in your face. Drink, dance and party, or just chill out and enjoy some reggae music.


There’s always a price to pay for all of these, you got to watch out for your budget though. Being a cheapskate traveler who got used to camping and crashing houses, I can still think of ways to minimize the costs without sacrificing fun. I got here via Batangas-Mindoro-Caticlan route, hitchhiked from Puerto Galera to Roxas. It was a long tedious journey, but it was all worth it. There’s always the good ‘ol hitchhiking (From Oriental Mindoro) to be able to get here, you just got to pay for the 10 minute boat ride from Caticlan port to Boracay P25 and P100 both for the environmental and Terminal fee. There are now ferries by this 2Go company from Batangas Port that goes to Caticlan directly, around P800 for the ride. Or travel by plane, the fast and most convenient way.  Just be on constant look out for cheap airline promos to Caticlan or Kalibo. I got out of Boracay by plane from Kalibo, Aklan. I didn't have to book earlier for the ticket, but that time Airphil Express was cheap enough for a one way return ticket.



I heard from a friend that she crashed the house of the locals located at the small town at the back of the beach front. She politely asked them to let her stay in their place for P200, which is the price for the folding bed. She even hitchhiked a boat I think. If you don’t have the guts to do this, then you can still find guesthouses starting at P500 a night especially during off-peak season.




You can splurge on buffet, or you can scout the local town for some small “carinderias” or eateries.  And for the booze, some bars have their popular “happy hour”, you can score some cocktails at discounted prices. Forget about shopping, if you are on a budget. Remind yourself that this is a tourist trap.

I've swum in the nice beach, walked in its powdery white sand, partied all night, ate good food and now I can say I've experienced Boracay in all its glory. Should I go back? I don’t think so. I really don’t go back to the same place I traveled to. It’s time to move on!

Posted by MissForlorn, Photos by Peregrine

0 comments :