Monday, June 2, 2014

One Minute High


I came to Butuan City in Agusan del Norte only for one thing – the 1.3 km zipline. I just wanted to accomplish my mission of riding the so-called longest zipline in Asia. I didn't know any other places worth seeing here. I just knew that I wouldn't stay here for long.  Coming from Cagayan de Oro, I arrived in this strange city with no idea where to sleep as usual. I remember looking for a cheap guesthouse where I can put my stuff and rest for a bit, but I ended up in this small cage-like room with red lights and no windows. It was like a brothel or something. I was so scared to sleep here.

I fled and ran for my life. Even though it was only my paranoia but I’d rather be in total discomfort than sleep in that place. Thanks to this 24 hour McDonalds, my safe refuge.

Even though I was some sort of vegetarian and go-healthy that time, I felt like I had no other choice but to order fries.  After a few minutes I also escaped from the bright light and air conditioning, and found myself curled up on a small cold park bench.

I couldn't remember if I had really slept, but I woke up when a strange guy was trying to tell me something I did not understand. I fled for my life once again and headed to Delta Discovery Park for the zipline. And guess what, I was the first one to arrive. It was too early and I had to wait around for the staff to come in. I went to this natural pool nearby and I opened the whole resort. The water was so cold I could barely swim but anyway I enjoyed the whole place alone.


And at last for my real mission here, I was brought to the top seeing the magnificent view of Agusan del Norte. The next thing I knew I was like being tied up in a superman position. Honestly I was so nervous after seeing the whole stretch of line passing through the mountains. The staff insisted on putting some little parachute to reduce the speed but I preferred to be riding fast. My heart started to pump faster. With lots of zipline around the country, I waited for this moment where I can ride one for the first time. It looked like I had no choice but to submit to the staffs’ orders, with no time to chicken out. 

My fear was dissolved quickly when I started sliding.  It felt like I was going to crash towards the mountains, then the time seemed to have gone slow as I was having the most amazing view of my life. Just being there high above, I felt the bird’s power for a moment.  I was nearing the end of the line when I felt the sharp jolt.  And that was it.

0 comments :