Friday, June 6, 2014

Braving the Rapids



After many years of living in the Philippines, I had finally set foot on Mindanao. Locals and travelers are intimidated to travel around here due to the conflicts between the Muslim and the army. But there are places worth seeing in Mindanao that are safe to travel to. This time, I came to Cagayan de Oro only for one thing and what it's famous for - white water rafting.

I've traveled by this rugged ship from Camiguin to Cagayan de Oro. It was just an hour ride, and then I took a bus to get to the city. To my surprise I felt like I was somewhere in Manila again. Nothing special around here, food stalls, traffic, pollution and beggars everywhere. It was not what I was expecting, and then I thought that I had to get somewhere out of the city to experience some hidden beauty. Then I found out that I had to stay here until the next day as the white water rafting would only start in the morning.

The next morning I was picked up by the rafting organizers, and I sat alone in this Jeepney with a group of locals from Manila. I sat there silently staring outside and expectantly waiting for some good nature around.

We got off somewhere our of the town and headed down to the river. Here I met another group of locals also taking the “advanced” river rafting. We were briefed about the basics, like how to paddle, how to turn and even what to say when we get passed the rocks and rough water.


And of course I was the only one not part of some family or traveling friends, so I was asked to choose a group I’m most comfortable with. I am not always comfortable with any groups, but with no other choice, I went with this family on this big blue raft.  It was rainy season that time and so the water was chocolaty but the nature around was a sight to behold. 

It seemed easy at the beginning, no sharp turns or anything. Just smoothly going with the flow and paddling forward.  I sat in the front beside one staff directing us what to do.  We finally came across some rough water and made some sharp turns avoiding the rocks, which was all part of the thrill. Nevertheless we still found ourselves swimming away during our break and did some little cliff diving along the way.


We saw other groups tipping over. I’m glad we didn't as we were extremely careful. We were followed by the staffs in another raft taking pictures all the way through the course. I got bored with this group I was with, and wished that I could have taken the more advanced rafting course. However I was told that I needed to be with some more experienced or more physically fit group of people due to huge drops, waves and some sharp maneuvering  I immediately thought of my friends from swimming back in Manila. It could have been more fun if they were here.


I knew that I might not be back here again so I pleaded the rafting guys to make me experience that two-man raft. After some careful consideration and a little bit of charisma, they finally agreed. The next thing I knew I was sitting in front of this small inflatable kayak. I was a bit nervous but excited. The guy at the back was helping me maneuver the raft with all his strength while I seemed to focus on just taking the ride of my life.  The water was splashing on to my face. The ride seemed more dangerous as I felt the sharp turns and drops.  The whole ride was exhilarating but fun. I would have chosen to be in this raft in the first place if I would be allowed to.  Nevertheless, I was thankful enough to experience the difference for a moment.  

I was taken back to the big raft and headed back. It was truly unforgettable. And once again I fulfilled something in my bucket list. It was one hell of a holiday.

0 comments :